Thursday, October 6, 2011

An Autumn Porch

My porch is very small, and I don't have a lot to work with
as far as 'decor' goes, so I use what I have and
what I find in the garden, barn and woodland.
Below is the garden 'Welcome' sign that I made
this Spring. I placed it on the bench and
added a branch of wild rose hips.



A homemade grapevine wreath is also adorned with
wild rose hips.



A vintage milk can from my Grandpa's farm is topped
with a yellow garden mum and Cinderella Pumpkins
(Rouge Vif D'Etampes), Carnival and Sweet Meat
Squash harvested from the garden find a place
to greet guests, too!



An old, brilliantly colored wool blanket is draped
across the bench ~ the cats love to scout for farmyard
activity from here while staying out of the weather.
Another pumpkin temporarily holds the place where a burlap
pillow in the making will sit.



An apple basket filled with more squash (and a wayward tomato ~
how'd that get in there?) and a vintage cream can are
next to the bench and an old twig broom with a few sparse
leaves, grasses and pods hangs above.

It's a shock of color but company has no trouble finding the front door!
That's my porch for today ~ it will change as my mood
changes, just like our weather!

Joining Fishtail Cottage for


and
Deborah Jean for

11 comments:

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Looks great,
really really nice.

Rebecca said...

I like it. To me, small is better--in many ways not nearly so difficult to "fill". Yours is beautiful.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Everything is so pretty! loving that wreath! thanks for sharing over here at Fishtail Cottage Outdoor Fall Decor party! xoox

Unknown said...

Love your Fall decor! It looks very inviting and charming! Thanks for sharing with the farmgirls...!
Deb

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

That's pretty.
Looks inviting.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I agree with all the ladies that have already commented above. Your porch looks lovely, and oh, so inviting. Great job.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

It's a lovely porch!

Brenda said...

Your autumn decor is so pretty and inviting.

Gina said...

Raeann,

Your porch is lovely. It looks so cozy and inviting. I've a question for you. Do you have trouble with squirrels taking bites out of your squash and pumpkins? I usually do. So far this year we've dodged that bullet.

Lady Farmer said...

Mrs. Georgina
Thank you for your sweet comment on my autumn porch.
To answer your question ~ No, I don't have trouble with squirrels taking bites out of my squash. My cats keep the squirrels up in the trees out in the woods. I rarely see a squirrel anymore. Only an occasional furry little tail left as a gift from said cats!
I took these porch photos soon after I placed the squash there. What you don't see is, the next day my naughty chickens, whom I let roam about the farm during the daytime, discovered the pumpkin on the lower left side of the photo. They did a fine job of pumpkin carving for me. I shant have to try my hand at it! :>)

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Lady Farmer,

I love your shock of color! You have done Autumn well.

Love,

Marqueta

p.s. I still haven't copied your welcome sign; maybe a project for this weekend?