Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March Madness or....

...how to garden in the fickle Pacific North West!
So ~ how's a girl to get any planting done when one day (or hour!)
the sun is shining brightly
and the next, this---




This is what I woke up to this morning!
I was hoping to get some seeds planted out in the Spring garden.
But one would only be making soupy mud holes
and the seed would rot. I'll have to wait for awhile yet
for the ground to dry out some.
So... I went to plan B.


I remembered a little indoor seed starting "greenhouse"
that I had rescued some time back. I dug it out and
cleaned it up.


I found some small terra cotta pots that I had for another project...


Filled them with some organic potting soil and a few herb seeds...


... set them in a bright window (not direct sun).


My gardening urge is satisfied (for today)!
And now the snow has stopped and the sun is shining! :~O
Ahh, well! Such is life for the gardener in the PNW!


Joining this week with these fun blog hops ~

Amy at Homestead Revival for

Jami at An Oregon Cottage for

Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for

Kathy at A Delightsome Life for
Home & Garden Thursday

Sherry at No Minimalist Here for
Open House Party

And
Deborah Jean for
Farmgirl Friday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raeann,

Oh dear! That snow looks like it came down all of a sudden and hard!

I love your little greenhouse. So cute and smart too!

Gina

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Lady Farmer,

I know what you mean about satisfying that itch! I was going nuts trying to decide if I should have faith that we'll move in time to have a garden, or start one in faith that we'll harvest it before we move. The gardening bug won, big time, and we're now very happy (even if we DO move, we have lots of practice now). :)

Your greenhouse looks like a very practical thing, no matter what the weather!

Love,

Marqueta

Lexa said...

Isn't this weather we have been having just crazy! I do love the little greenhouse that you save and now how put to excellent use. Your set-up looks terrific! Happy gardening and happy - almost- Spring!

Zinnia said...

So glad you found the cure for the snow. This morning when I would walk the dog, I saw a white landscape. It was also snowing at my place. I have my seed in our window. As soon as there is enough plus graderut I lift the planter on the days of taking it over night. We can have frost even in June. I wish you a wonderful day! Zinnia

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

What a pretty window greenhouse- love the seeds too. I like Botanical Interest seeds.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That was a good idea to use that little greenhouse! I need to get some seeds started today too.

Unknown said...

How clever! I love the box you placed your herbs in... You gave me an idea too! Thanks for sharing